Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Catching Up


What a season it has been so far. Not only has the fishing been great, but the weather for the most part has been great as well. That is until the last couple day's. So with this opportunity, I am catching up on the report and giving an update on the products used over the last couple months.

The fishing has been rock solid all season. From pre-spawn to the spawn and now we are fishing post spawn fish that have moved deep. The drop shot seems to be the ticket right now. We are catching several fish in the 2-3lb range with a few bigger ones mixed in. These fish are eating Gulp and finesse style baits on a regular basis. Some day's they are a little finicky, but they are eating once you find what they want.

I wanted to report on a couple items that were new to me this year. Being on the water almost everyday in all types of conditions puts products to the test and this is what I have observed.

First is the Frabil FXE storm suit. This rain gear has worked great when it needed to. I have been in some extreme down pours with lots of wind and this suit kept me dry. This suit is also easy to put on and take off in a hurry when needed, also, the suit is very comfortable to wear. I would recommend this rain gear to anyone for sure.

Another item that I credit for several big fish being caught this year were my sunglasses. I purchased Costa's this year with the 580 lens in a blue mirror and a copper lens. The clarity of these lenses allowed me to see fish that others couldn't see. What a great lens!! If you sight fish, be sure to check out Costa's line of sunglasses. They have several different frames and lens combinations to fit you and get you seeing more fish!!

I have a new rod for drop shoting this year and it is from Castaway. The rod that I am using is a SKMDSM7. This has the new Microwave guides and has performed flawlessly!!!!! The sensitivity is great and the rod cast light weight tackle better than any rod I have used to date. These rods have done battle with over a thousand smallmouth this year and have held up to the daily abuse! Definitely a great rod and gets a 5 star vote from me.

It will be back to smallmouth smashing and salmon fishing as soon as the wind let's up. I can't wait to get back after em!! Until next time Good Luck and Happy Fishing.

Capt Chris