Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Legends of the Fall


Wow! What a season it has been. I know it has been quite some time since my last post, but that happens when you are busy! So let's try and get caught up from the beginning of August and we will work our way through this past week.

I was finishing up salmon fishing and getting ready to head to Sandusky, OH for the second stop on the B.A.S.S. Northern Open tour. Arriving at Sandusky was great! The last time I fished here it was a great tournament and I finished 11th. I really enjoy chasing smallies in big water. I had a great first day, but couldn't get the job done on the second day. I ended up falling instead of climbing the leader board. I ended up 38th. It was a little disappointing, but you learn something new at every tournament and you just have to continue to build on what you learn.

After Sandusky I headed home to continue guiding on Grand Traverse Bay. Man it felt good to be back on home water! The fishing was great and then for no apparent reason it slowed to a slow crawl. We were still catching fish, just not the size or numbers I was hoping to see. We caught several 1-3pound fish and had the occasional lunker that would show up. Most of the fish were being caught on a dropshot in deep water.

As September arrived, I had a few day's off and headed to Kansas to prepare for the upcoming deer season out there. After I returned for Kansas it was back on the water and the fishing had improved dramatically. We were catching quantity and quality. We finally broke the six pound mark after quite a dry spell for big fish. I was bummed that I had to leave for Oneida Lake for the last B.A.S.S. Northern Open. I hated to leave good fishing.

Once I arrived in New York at Oneida, I quickly realized that this was a different fishery than I was used to. Practice was brutal for all but two day's. The wind blew out of the Northeast for what seemed like an eternity! I figured out the walleye bite in short order, but struggled with the smallies. I finally put it together and had a solid plan going into the tournament. The best plan however doesn't always work. Day one was dismal at best and I didn't even catch a limit. I picked myself up on Day two however and had a great second day climbing from 125th to 68th. I know we hear this a lot, but I never give up!!

On the ride home, I was getting excited to return to the land of giant smallmouth. You always here stories of giant fish being caught in the fall. The last couple weeks of September and all of October can be some of the best fishing of the year. The scenery with all of the fall colors a blaze is breathtaking in itself, not to mention a five pound plus smallie pulling on your string. Some of the biggest fish of the year will be caught in the next few weeks. I am looking forward to chasing the Legends of the Fall! Until next time, Good luck and Happy Fishing.

Capt Chris