Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Face-Sad Face


Today is the day before Father's Day. As I wright this, I am reminded of the two greatest things in life, my daughter and my son. So many great times have been had with them out on the water and at home. This is the Happy Face.

I have been on the water more this year than I ever have in the past and haven't spent the time with my children that I normally do. Make no mistake, I am not complaining, I'm just proud of these two great kids and cherish the moments that I do get to spend with them on or off the water. Happy Face again.

There are many things in life you try to teach your children as they grow. One thing that I have tried to teach them on the water is the catch and release side of conservation. Ray Scott, the founder of B.A.S.S., started the catch and release mentality years ago on the tournament trail. This is more important here in Northern Michigan than other places in the country. The growing season here is shorter and the fish do not grow nearly as fast as they do in the south.

My children have asked me several questions about keeping fish. The main question is why do we keep walleye and salmon, but we don't keep bass. My explanation is simple. Our state plants walleye and salmon, but bass are not planted. Our bass population depends on natural reproduction. They seem to understand that some fish need to be harvested for eating, while others are just more fun to catch over and over.

In this state, there are several species of fish that are not planted and depend on natural reproduction as well. The perch is a prime example. There has seemed to be an endless supply until 10 years ago when over harvesting finally took it's toll. Do we still catch perch? The answer is yes, but not like it used to be.

Why am I rambling on this subject? The answer is simple. Over the last two weeks the fishing has been great to say the least. Unfortunately, I have witnessed the bass come onto there beds and be harvested relentlessly. I watched one boat keep 14 fish off of bed's in one morning. Here is the Sad Face. If these fish on there beds are continued to be harvested, we may not see the effect right away, but we will in the future.

I understand that all fish species need to be harvested, including bass, but if harvesting fish off beds continues the World Class fishery that we have here will be decimated in no time at all. Sad Face again. I would like to see trophy fish for generations to come.

I have been blessed to be able to get my kids out and enjoy both harvesting fish to eat and catch and release for fun. I hope this will continue until my children are able to teach there children the same things. Catch and release is the way to ensure our World Class smallmouth fishery will stay intact for generations to come. Until next time, Good Luck and Happy Fishing!