Sunday, August 29, 2010

Season of Change

Wow,what a blur the last three weeks have been. The last time I remember writing was when the fishing on all fronts was the best summer fishing that I have experienced in quite some time. The smallmouth and salmon were chewing on anything that you put in front of them! The action stayed good for me right up to the time I left for the BASS Northern Open on the Detroit River. There is not much to say about the time I spent there other than it was a huge learning experience. This was my worst tournament to date and the only thing left to do is learn and move on!

Now that I have returned home and started chasing smallies again, I have noticed a change in the air as well as on the trees. Although minimal, there are a few tree's starting to show the colors of fall(today's forcasted high of the upper 80's has me wondering though). The first real cool down of the season arrived Thursday and Friday mornings trip greeted us with temperature's in the 40's. The run across the bay was definitely an eye opener! We ended up catching over thirty smallmouth with the biggest about 2 1/2 pounds. Lot's of action, but not the giants the bay is known for. We had several laughs and had a great time catching fish.

There are a few salmon starting to charge up the river for there annual spawning run and several fish are still out in Lake Michigan waiting for Mother Natures cue to run the river. This is usually triggered by a huge North blow and rain. Until this happens the action will be fast and furious as the fish try to fatten up for there journey up the river.

It is definitely the season of change as fall begins to settle in the air. The honking of geese become more noticeable, the mornings are cooler, the color's begin to show, the fishing will heat up and the dust gets knocked off the bow case. These are all signs that I look forward to every year.

Until next time enjoy the changes and good luck fishing.

Capt Chris